Having a simple life means that you should be interested in experimenting with different natural hygiene products that will help you make your own without the need of special equipment nor ingredients that you’ve never heard before.
For that, we’ve come up with a body lotion that’s perfect and easy to make. All you need are three simple ingredients, namely: water, edible oil, and beeswax.
These ingredients are locally available and you can also save them for later use. For the edible oil, you can use organic sunflower oil, and the beeswax isn’t that hard to find either.
Things You’ll Need:
- 1/2 edible oil (olive, sunflower, or another edible oil)
- A cup of warm water
- 3 tbsps. grated beeswax
Note: To add scent, you can use 5-10 drops of essential oil, such as rosemary, lavender, or tea tree oil.
- Combine the oil and grated beeswax together in a double boiler and mix thoroughly. Allow the beeswax to melt completely and bind with the oil.
- Let it cool and ensure that the water you’re going to use has the same temperature as the mixture.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the blender and turn it on. Then, slowly pour the warm water as you blend the mixture. Another Option: You can pour the mixture directly into the container and just mix it using an immersion blender.
- Continue blending the mixture until it achieves a creamy and smooth consistency. If the mixture is warm enough, it’s advisable to let it cool at room temperature then blend it again.
Note: Not all water will combine. So, just drain the excess.
Additionally, due to the fact that this lotion is made from natural ingredients, it doesn’t have a long shelf-life a commercial lotion has. Also, we can’t give you any information on how long this natural lotion will last, but you can keep it for a number of weeks.
Furthermore, in order to be safe, it’s advisable to keep it on a shelf out of direct sunlight and in a cool dry place for about 3 months. If you’ll refrigerate it, this body lotion can even last for up to 6 months.
During your first application, it may appear to be a little greasy, something similar to shea or cocoa butter. Just allow your skin to completely absorb the lotion for about a minute or so, and it wouldn’t feel greasy at all.
If you want to scent your lotion, you can use essential oils, such as lavender oil and tea tree oil. This will give your body lotion a spicy, yet earthy smell that’s relaxing at the same time.
How to Add a Scent:
- Just bring your water to a boil and pour it over three sprigs of rosemary.
- Let it steep until the water is no longer steaming and strain out the leaves.
- Pour one cup of your scented water in the lotion and add 10 drops of lavender oil and 2 drops of tea tree oil.
You’ll probably notice that the scent is too strong as you mix the ingredients. Don’t worry, this will be very subtle once applied on the skin.